Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Very Short Stories

Medicine Is Useless

“Remember to take every one of these, even if you start to feel better.”

“Oh, I like to keep some around for if I get sick later.”

“No, you have to take them all or your sickness may return.”

“Really? It never has before. I've got a whole bunch of antibiotics in my kitchen.”

“Well, you seriously should take every one. I've prescribed the number you need. There aren't any extras.”

“Oh...Okay. I understand.”

“You're not going to take them all are you?”

“I might.”

“Listen, these are powerful antibiotics. It would be irresponsible for me to give you any more or any less than you need. You need all 18 of these pills. I'm not lying to you.”

“Yeah, sure, doc, I trust you.”

“Will you take them all?”

“Alright, if it means that much to you. I'll do it.”

“This is why I got into medicine.”


+ + +


Don't Go in the Bathroom

Once he'd heard crying in the bathroom at the far end of the hall. Not regular kid crying either. Grown-up crying. Maybe even a teacher. He didn't go inside that day. He did not want to face anything that could make a teacher cry. So he held it and went out with the rest of the class for recess. His mother brought a change of clothes that afternoon.


+ + +


Confused Ambition

Growing up, I wanted to read. I never wanted to take tap. This conflict wasn't a problem for my mother. “We all want this or that, but where we is is where we at,” she'd say. “We gonna get you some culture. You gonna be somebody.”


+ + +



Madness from a Cold Awakening

The garage is cold. The fire must be burned out. Thank god, these covers are warm...ish. Moving them is certainly out of the question. Maybe father will come tend to the fire soon. Not impossible, but the house-filling roar of his snoring signals the chances of that happening. Perhaps brother? No, he's at the colder end of the house. He's locked in. The sun will be long up before he makes a move. That's hours away. This house will freeze if something isn't done. Time to ponder a dangerous mission. How can it be done? Wrapping up in the blankets...a cocoon of protection? The cold concrete floor awaits. Its chill longing to suck the life from a bare foot. No slippers. Where are the socks from yesterday? Could be anywhere. No light accessible from this bed. Options are running out. Sleep? Yes... not bad. Forget it all and sleep. Awake with the bright, warm dawn. Socks won't hide in the morning light. Sleep. But, wait! Sleep is the enemy! The long sleep. The deep, dark sleep. This sleep must be avoided. Drifting away with the cold may be a one way trip. No. Something must be done. This calls for... Bravery. Resolve and Bravery. And Quickness. For it must be done. It shall be done. The fire will, once again, come bursting to life. This house needs it and loyalty demands it. No time to waste now. The choice is made. On with it.

...Oh, shit...cold floor, cold floor, cold floor...

No comments:

Post a Comment