Sunday, May 8, 2011

Estate

When the Great King knew his time was nearing an end he called his three sons to his bedside.

“Sons, as I love each of you deeply I have chosen to divide my kingdom amongst you all.”

“First, “ he began, “to you, my eldest, as you are strong and brave, I grant to you control of my military. The troops, the great ships and the armaments are now yours to command.”

With that the eldest son bowed and left well pleased with what he had been given.

“Next, to you, my youngest, as you have shown both wisdom and compassion, I grant to you the rule of the people.”

And, with that the youngest son bowed and left well pleased with what he had been given.

“And now, to you, my middle son. To you I grant the management of my wealth. The purse of the kingdom is yours.”

And, with that the middle son smiled, grasped the old man's hand and asked, “Oh, Father, why did you bother giving my brothers anything at all?”

No comments:

Post a Comment